Sunday, August 28, 2011

God grant me patience. Please!

I feel like this might be a repeat post...but I don't have the patience right now to sift through my old blogs!

Yesterday was not my finest day as a mommy. My patience were running very thin and of course, those are always the days that the kids are on their finest behavior. Right? Uh...no.

Maycen is old enough that, save for the occasional meltdown, we really only deal with drama. Okay, by "drama" I mean, completely dramatic over reactions to every single thing that she doesn't like. And by "only" I mean, 7 or 8 hundred times a day. Maycen puts 100% into every emotion she feels. If she is happy she is ecstatic. If she is sad it is the worst moment of her life. If she is mad, she hates the world. You get it. Most days I can recognize it for what it is and let her get her emotions out but, unfortunately, yesterday was not that day. I sometimes find myself engaging with her at her level. I know it is ridiculous and I'm disappointed in myself when I let it happen, but it does none-the-less. We ended yesterday with one of these overly dramatic fights. When all was settled down I explained to her that part of the reason it happens is because she and I are so much alike and sometimes, when we are both having a bad day, it happens. She got a kick out of that and we hugged and kissed and shared "I love you's" and decided we would start over in the morning.

My two kiddos couldn't be more different! Brock is loud and destructive and rambunctious and ornery and not emotional at all one minute and a complete lover the next. He can hit his sister as hard as he possibly can and then as he gets sent to his room for the 100th time he'll look at me and say "mommy, are you happy with me?". There is no level 5 with Brock. He is either at a 1 (sleeping!) or a 10 (climbing the pantry while throwing things at his sister, literally!). This can be exhausting, and I know we are not the first parents to go through this. He is a 4 year old boy and I don't expect the unreasonable, some days it is just harder than others to remember that. Yesterday was certainly one of those days.

I absolutely hate the days that I spend more time disciplining my kids than having fun with them and I am thankful that we get to start fresh every day!

Today we have cleaned the house together, watched Tangled (twice!) and baked cookies. It is definitely a better day.

Thank you, God!

No comments:

Post a Comment